A lot of theories have been formed and some of them are:
– Ancient civilisation made the crater
– Prisoners at a secret Stalin labour camp created the crater
– The crater was formed from volcanic activity
– Meteorite caused the crater
– An underground hydrogen explosion triggered to form the crater
– A UFO or two UFOs were responsible for the crater
Native people called it as the cursed crater or devil’s place, according to stories handed down long before Kolpakov discovered it. Because of so many unanswered questions about the crater, it has been called “The Mysterious Place in Russia.”
Among the unanswered questions are:
– Why trees don’t grow on the side of the cone?
– While levels of radiation are now low, why they were once high?
Many scientists have conducted expeditions on the crater but no one yet has definitive answer as to what or who made it. One thing is certain as of now, new missions will be coming in the next few months until questions are answered undisputedly.